Referral for Specialist Opinion

Most injured workers are looked after by their GP, most injuries are self-limiting and the injured worker will return to work within a couple of weeks.

The GP can issue certificates, provide medication and perhaps refer for physiotherapy. But when the injured worker does not go back to work, when the injured worker cannot go back to work because of some difficulties with the employer or some difficulties at home, then GPs will often refer to people like myself, to Occupational Physicians.

I have experience dealing with employers, dealing with return to work coordinators, attending case conferences and preparing reports for lawyers and insurers, and when the case goes to conciliation.

GPs are using the services of Occupational Physicians, like myself, to deal with these complex aspects. GPs appreciate the specialist intervention to take away the time consuming aspects of dealing with a Work Cover claim.